- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 8 oz hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese, to top
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and shallot and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Crumble the sausage into the pot and brown all over, but don’t cook through.
- Pour in the vodka and cook until it slightly reduces, about 2 minutes. Add in the chicken stock and crushed tomatoes and bring to a low boil. Add in the penne and cook, stirring often, until pasta is al dente, about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in the heavy cream, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and basil leaves. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until warmed through, stirring occasionally. If your sauce becomes too thick, add a bit more chicken stock or water to thin.
- Top with additional basil leaves and parmesan cheese, to serve.