- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into chunks
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces mixed frozen vegetables
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package cornbread and muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 6 ounces (1.5 cups) cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 jalapeno, sliced, optional
- Scallions, chopped, to top
- Cilantro, chopped, to top
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season generously with salt and pepper, and sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté until tender and golden, about 4 minutes.Mix in the garlic and frozen vegetables and cook 1 additional minute. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until pasty. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Continue to stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Mix in the barbecue sauce and then add the chicken back to the skillet, then stir to combine. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornbread mix with the egg and milk. Once smooth, mix in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Spoon the cornbread mixture over the skillet, and spread with the back of a spoon. Press the jalapeno slices into the top of the cornbread batter, if using, and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake until the cornbread has browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Top with scallions and cilantro and serve warm.