- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 8 soft caramel candies
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Coarse sea salt, to top
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Liberally butter the insides of two ramekins and set aside.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine the remaining butter and the chopped dark chocolate. Reserve any chocolate dust or chocolate shavings for topping at the end.
- Microwave the chocolate and butter mixture for a minute and then stir. If not fully melted, microwave in 15 second intervals and stir until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and whisk to combine. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk, and then whisk in the flour. Whisk until no white streaks remain, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Pour a quarter of the batter into each buttered ramekin. Cut 5 of the caramel candies into quarters and divide them between the two ramekins, placing them in the center of the batter.
- Pour the remaining batter over the caramels.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and then bake for about 12 minutes, or until the edges pull away from the ramekins but the center is not completely cooked through. Let sit until cool enough to handle, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the ramekins over onto the serving plates. Gently tap the tops until the lava cakes dislodge from the ramekins. Remove the ramekins from the plate.
- Chop up the remaining caramel candies into small pieces. Place a scoop of ice cream on top of each lava cake and them sprinkle the caramel pieces, reserved chocolate shavings, and a small pinch of sea salt on top. Serve immediately.