- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 10 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Italian rolls or bread, to serve
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine lemon juice, white wine vinegar, 6 of the garlic cloves, and all of the herbs and seasonings. Process until the herbs and garlic have been minced and well-combined. Slowly stream in the olive oil while processing on low.
- If using immediately, pour all but 1/4 cup of the marinade into a large, sealable freezer bag. If making the marinade ahead, pour the marinade into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid. Then transfer the marinade cubes to a freezer bag for later use. See note.
- Add the chicken to the bag with the marinade and allow to marinate for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days, moving the marinade and chicken in the bag occasionally to make sure that the chicken is evenly coated.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic sauce. In a small bowl, combine the reserved 1/4 cup marinade (remember, this is marinade that HAS NOT touched the chicken!) with the mayonnaise. Mince the remaining garlic cloves and mix in. Thin with additional white wine vinegar, if necessary. Adjust seasoning to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers. Season with additional salt and pepper. Discard remaining marinade.
- Place skewers on the preheated grill and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from grill and rest the meat for a few minutes.
- Lightly toast the Italian rolls. Place a skewer on each roll and squeeze the roll around the chicken to pull out the skewers.
- Top with garlic sauce and serve immediately.
When ready to use, add 1 marinade cube per 2 ounces of meat to a freezer bag. Be sure to toss occasionally to ensure that the marinade coats the meat as it thaws.
If using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak the skewers for at least 30 minutes before threading the meat on and grilling.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins