- 5 pounds waxy potatoes (yellow or red potatoes)
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and/or fresh dill
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes. Test them by piercing with a fork and drain when they reach the desired consistency (about 20 minutes). Let cool until you can handle them without burning yourself, but don’t let them get cold. Peel and slice into 1/4- 1/2 inch thick slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large pan over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and crumble, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add oil and onions to the pan and cool until softened, about 5 minutes. Mix in the vinegar, beef broth, and sugar and bring to a light boil. Then gently toss in the sliced potatoes, half of the bacon, and half of the herbs. Cook until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Season with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Top with remaining bacon and herbs. Let sit for 15-20 minutes to allow the the flavors to absorb. Serve warm.
- While I personally prefer the German Potato Salad when it's served warm, it's also delicious served cold or at room temperature. Don't be afraid to make it ahead of time just like you would any other potato salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: german potato salad, potato salad, hot german potato salad, no mayo potato salad, bacon potato salad