- 3 pounds butter potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6 medium-sized potatoes), peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized portions
- 6 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped chives, plus more for garnishing
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with water until the potatoes are completely covered. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain off the water entirely– excess water causes gummy mashed potatoes.
- Return to heat and add in the butter. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes and mix in the butter as it melts. Add in the goat cheese and mix well. Add in the heavy cream, chives, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with extra chives and serve warm.