For the Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound pecan halves
For the Cider Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
For the Salad:
- 12 ounces baby romaine lettuce or greens of choice
- 6 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 honey crisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Start by making the candied pecans. Preheat oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix sugars, cinnamon, and salt together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg white and water together until frothy.
- Toss the pecans in the egg white mixture, then pour the sugar mixture into the pecan mixture and mix until the pecans are fully and evenly coated.
- Pour the coated pecans onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread evenly.
- Bake, stirring every 20 minutes, until pecans are evenly browned, 40 minutes to an hour. Set aside to cool.
- As the pecans bake, prepare the dressing. Combine all of the Cider Vinaigrette ingredients in a sealable jar, cover, and shake well to combine.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl, plus 1 cup of the candied pecans. Pour a bit of the dressing over top of the salad, toss, and then add additional dressing, as desired. You will have extra dressing, so refrigerate it for later!
- Serve the salad immediately.