FOR THE BREAD:
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
FOR THE SWIRL:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a large (9x5”) loaf pan and line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, oil, eggs, and sugars. Whisk until well-combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all of the spices. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until no streaks of flour remain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Pour a third of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth and distribute the batter gently with a spatula. Sprinkle over about 2 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Layer with another third of the batter and sprinkle, again, with about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat one more for the top layer, making sure to smooth it well, and only use enough cinnamon-sugar to lightly sprinkle over the top.
- Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake the bread for 70 to 80 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out with only a few clinging, soft crumbs; and that same tester inserted about 1/2" into the top of the loaf doesn't encounter any unbaked batter. Don’t worry if there’s a bit of pumpkin bread on your tester. You want your pumpkin bread to be moist. Just be sure it’s not gloppy.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes (or until cool enough to handle without damaging), then wrap in plastic wrap and let sit overnight or until ready to serve, for moister bread. Alternatively, let cool in the pan entirely and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 70 mins