- 3/4 lb Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk, plus 1/4 cup for the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup for the sauce
- 1 (16 oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained and pureed (you can do this in a food processor or blender)
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz pasta of your choice
- Remove the casing from the sausage and discard the casing. To do this, simply cut along the side of the sausage with a sharp knife and peel off the pierced casing with your fingers.
- In a large pot or high-walled pan, saute the sausage meat with the garlic and olive oil over medium heat, until browned.
- Stir in chicken broth, pureed roasted red pepper, milk and pasta. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 12 minutes. If the liquid has all been absorbed, add the additional milk and chicken broth.
- Stir in spinach, 1 handful at a time, and cook until wilted and hot.
- Stir in the goat cheese and parmesan. Continue to stir until melted. Remove from heat and serve.
Feel free to substitute poultry-based sausages in here. They work well, too!