You know that feeling when you’re working on something and you’re like 75% sure it’s not going to turn out well for one reason or another?
That’s how I felt about this One Pot Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Alfredo. I should have been more confident, I guess, since the One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies I made a few months back turned out to be better than I ever could have imagined, but I still can’t get over the fact that you can cook pasta and meat and a sauce all together in one pot and make it taste good.
Better than good. Amazing, if I do say so myself…
Anyway, I had no idea where I was going with this meal when I started making it. I just kept turning to James as I pulled ingredients out of the fridge and asking him if I should throw them in. I also kept saying to myself, “I really hope this works,” and humming nervously, but that’s pretty typical kitchen behavior for me.
By the way, does anyone else do that? Hum nervously? James brought up the other day that I hum the theme song from Doug whenever I’m nervous, and at first I was like, “PSH, I do not!” but then I realized that I do. I totally do, and I have no idea why.
So there I was, humming and hovering over my pot of pasta, wringing my hands and waiting for disaster, but that disaster never came. Instead, I got a pot full of some of the tastiest pasta I’ve ever had.
Roasted red peppers, Italian sausage, spinach, goat cheese, and garlic flavor this simple dish, and leave you with a hearty meal that’s as satisfying as realizing you only have one pot to wash after dinner.
Give One Pot Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Alfredo a try, and I bet it’ll make its way into your weekly rotation!Print
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk, plus 1/4 cup for the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup for the sauce
- 1 (16 oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained and pureed (you can do this in a food processor or blender)
- 4 oz goat cheese (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz pasta of your choice
- Remove the casing from the sausage and discard the casing. To do this, simply cut along the side of the sausage with a sharp knife and peel off the pierced casing with your fingers.
- In a large pot or high-walled pan, saute the sausage meat with the garlic and olive oil over medium heat, until browned.
- Stir in chicken broth, pureed roasted red pepper, milk and pasta. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 12 minutes. If the liquid has all been absorbed, add the additional milk and chicken broth.
- Stir in spinach, 1 handful at a time, and cook until wilted and hot.
- Stir in the goat cheese and parmesan. Continue to stir until melted. Remove from heat and serve.
Feel free to substitute poultry-based sausages in here. They work well, too!
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!