For the Corn Chowder:
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 5–6 ears corn, shucked and kernels cut off of the cob (roughly 4 cups corn kernels), divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cotija or feta cheese crumbles
- Chopped chives or green onions, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeno, additional cotija and bacon, sour cream, lime wedges, diced avocado, etc., to serve
- Using an immersion blender or blender, puree the chipotles in adobo, 1 cup of the corn, and 1 cup of the chicken broth. Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the heavy cream, flour, bacon, cotija, and toppings to the slow cooker. Pour in the pureed corn. Stir, cover, and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Whisk together the flour and heavy cream until smooth. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir. Mix in the bacon and cheese crumbles, reserving some to top, if desired. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with toppings of your choice.