Adapted from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thai-butternut-soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (if cooking on stovetop)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1″ cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk, divided
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Sriracha to taste, optional
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- 1/3 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped, to garnish
- Naan, to serve, optional
- If using the stovetop method: Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the garlic and onion, and saute until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add in the ginger and curry paste and stir to combine with the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring often. Add in the raw butternut squash cubes and slowly pour in the broth, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- If making in the slow cooker: Add butternut squash, garlic, onion, ginger, Thai curry paste, broth, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to evenly distribute. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Pour the soup into a blender in batches and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender to blend in the pot or slow cooker. Before serving, remove the soup from the heat or turn off the slow cooker and mix in the coconut milk (saving a few tablespoons to garnish) and lime juice (if using). Mix well. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and add sriracha to taste for extra spice, if using. Pour into bowls and drizzle the remaining coconut milk on top. Swirl the coconut milk with a spoon. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve warm with naan bread.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins