- 1 pound hulled barley, cooked
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, and/or parsley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon marmite
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, or as needed
- Avocado ribbons, see note
- Sliced red onion
- Radish sprouts
- Cook the barley according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until they release their juices, about 8 minutes. Stir in the onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes, then add in the garlic and cook together, stirring, for an additional minute.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a food processor along with the sun-dried tomatoes and half of the barley. Pulse a few times to combine everything into a thick, chunky paste-like texture. Make sure there are still visible chunks, you don’t want your mixture to be overly mushy.
- In a large bowl, combine the processed mushroom mix with the remaining barley, parmesan cheese, herbs, soy sauce, marmite, salt, pepper, and eggs.
- When you’re ready to cook the burgers, add in the panko bread crumbs, a bit at a time, until the burgers are still moist but not too wet, and hold together decently. Shape the mixture into patties (I like to use a burger mold), and then pat additional bread crumbs into the tops and bottoms to help the patties hold their shape.
- Heat 1/2″ of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the patties and cook until darkly browned on the bottom and holding together well, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Top as desired and eat warm.
For the avocado ribbons, halve and peel the outside of the avocado. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the avocado flesh into strips and then roll them up as desired.