While nearly everyone I know is lamenting "the end of summer", I've got to tell you, I'm pretty excited. Not because I'm glad that weather no longer permits us to float in the pool, drink in hand, and take in all of the sunshine, but because we're moving away from hot and humid weather into truly beautiful days where you can wear nearly anything in your wardrobe and not sweat or freeze to death. More importantly, you can actually go outside and do things, because let's be honest, the summer heat made outdoor activity for the past few months pretty limited to hanging around large bodies of water. There were probably 10 or so times I said to myself, "I want to pack a picnic" but then remembered that it was 90 degrees outside and humid on that summer day and decided to hold off. Well, it's picnic weather now, guys... So I had myself a picnic.
I'll tell you more about the whole picnic package soon, but right now I really want to focus on sharing this recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Salad with you. This "salad" is perfect for late-summer / early-fall and it is full of flavor. Enjoy it on its own, layer it on a sandwich, or serve it like bruschetta, as long as you eat it. I'm telling you, it's gooood. Not just "good," gooood.
If you do decide to have an outdoor meal (and really, you should-- in a few months you'll be bundled up in sweaters and scarves, wishing you'd enjoyed a nice lunch outside when you could do so without getting frostbite), you can't go wrong with this Roasted Red Pepper Salad. Served at room temperature, it travels well, and the salad simply becomes more and more delicious the longer it sits and the ingredients meld. I don't suggest leaving out any of the ingredients when you make yours, but feel free to add in whatever happens to be floating around in your pantry for your own unique spin. I bet chickpeas would be a nice addition!
Make this Roasted Red Pepper Salad to eat on its own, put on sandwiches, or serve in a bruschetta spread. The pine nuts, garlic, capers and basil add layers of flavor that will make this "salad" a go-to easy side!
- 3 roasted red peppers, skinned and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, squeeze the roasted garlic and add the oil and vinegar. Mix until well combined.
- Slice the roasted red peppers into small strips. Place in a bowl and then pour over the garlic, oil, and vinegar mixture. Toss, and then add the pine nuts, capers, basil, salt and pepper. Toss again until well combined.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side