Worried about making pizza dough from scratch? Keep calm and carry naan.
These are not your typical pizzas– instead of tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella, we’re using tandoori chicken, mango, red onion, mint, cilantro, and yogurt… oh, and mozzarella, because in the end, you just can’t nix the mozz.
Do you know what happens when you slather a pizza with those ingredients? BAM POW BOOM on your tastebuds. That’s really the only way to put it.
Yes, every bite is like a supercharged crime-fighting action hero is hulking out on your tongue. There’s spice, tang, sweetness, savoriness, and so much freshness in every single inch of this pizza that your tongue is like OH MY GOODNESS I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THAT. In a good way… In a super good way.
I got the idea for these Indian-inspired pizzas from BevCooks, who did an awesome version with pre-made tandoori paste. It’s a great option for people who are in a rush, but I much prefer the real thing to the paste, so I decided to whip up my own tandoori marinade. It’s got a lot of spices, but it only takes a few minutes to put together!
I used half of the marinade mixture for the chicken, and I mixed the remaining half with a bit of tomato paste to make the pizza sauce base. I think I might just start making all of my pizzas with that sauce. It is that good. Yogurt, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, hot paprika, cumin, garam masala, and cayenne pepper? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, double yes, and yes again.
I made this recipe on the grill, first cooking the chicken until it’s lightly charred and then placing the naan on until it darkens around the edges and crisps, but you could easily tweak it to make in the oven on a rainy day. You could even make it in a skillet. Whatever it takes to get the Tandoori Chicken Naan Pizza in your face immediately.
Adapted from BevCooks
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, plus more to top
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 pieces naan bread
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup mango sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Mint, to garnish
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Plain yogurt, to top
- Combine the yogurt, lemon, oil, garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin, garam masala, and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth to make the marinade. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and place in a freezer bag with half of the marinade, turning to coat well. Reserve the remaining half of the marinade in a separate container. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken 5 minutes per side, or until it reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from heat and cut into chunks.
- Brush the naan with oil. Mix the previously reserved marinade mixture with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Add additional yogurt to thin, if necessary, to give a spreadable consistency. Spread the naan with the tomato-yogurt mixture. Top with the red onion, chicken, mango, and mozzarella. Turn down the heat on the grill and place the naan pizzas on, or put the naan pizzas on a shelf above the grill grate. Close the lid and grill until the cheese melts. Remove from heat
- Top the pizzas with mint leaves and cilantro, drizzle with yogurt, and serve.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!