Crispy bottoms and chewy tops make potstickers one of my favorite ways to eat appetizers. I don’t just mean Asian-inspired appetizers, either; People typically think of potstickers as being filled with gingery pork, scallions, and cabbage, but you really can put anything in them! This time, I decided to go with a Tex Mex flavored filling of chipotle ranch ground chicken and creamy avocado.
I’m picky with warmed avocado, but when it is mashed with lime juice and salt before cooking, it retains its taste while taking on an even butterier consistency. The chipotle ranch chicken has just enough spice to kick things up a notch, and the cilantro-lime dipping sauce finishes off the flavor for an appetizer that will fly off the plate.
These are so delicious and so different than the usual party fare, but quite simple to make. Store bought wrappers bring down the prep time monumentally, so all you have to do is mix your fillings, put them in the wrappers, fold, seal, and cook. It’s really that easy.
To seal the wontons, I simply run a wet finger around the outside of the wrapper, fold it in half so that it is shaped like a half-moon, and then crease the edges by folding small sections over each other and pinching as I move from one side to the other. The fan-like folding is totally optional– if you’d prefer to just fold and pinch, that will work too!
To cook the potstickers, you place them in a lightly oiled pan until the bottoms are golden brown, then add in some water, cover, and let steam until the water has absorbed and the chicken filling is cooked through. Told ya it was easy!
Give them a go, and make sure you take a photo! Tag #hostthetoast on Instagram or Twitter so I can see your fusion dumplings!Print
- 2 Haas avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 (1 oz) ranch seasoning packet
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (or more, for extra heat)
- 40 potsticker wrappers
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more if necessary
- 2 sprigs green onion, sliced, to garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, to garnish
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with the lime juice and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, red onion, ranch seasoning, chipotle, and adobo sauce until well-combined.
- Fill a small bowl with water and set in your working station. Spoon 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons of the chicken mixture onto the center of a potsticker wrapper. Spoon another a teaspoon of the mashed avocado on top of the chicken mixture. Dip your finger into the water and trace your finger along the perimeter of the potsticker wrapper, around the filling, to moisten the edges. Fold one side over and press to seal. If desired, crimp or fold the edges. Continue until all of the potstickers have been formed, covering the finished potstickers with a kitchen towel as you work to prevent them from drying out.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is warm, add 8-10 potstickers and cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 3 minutes.Then, carefully and quickly add in 1/3 cup of water and cover immediately. Let steam until the water has absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the potstickers from the pan and set aside. Repeat until all of the potstickers have been cooked.
- As the potstickers cook, combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until well-combined.
- Garnish the Chipotle Ranch Chicken & Avocado Potstickers with cilantro and green onion and serve with the Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!