A lot of my recipes are born out of laziness. Laziness or resourcefulness, depending on how you look at it.
When I made this recipe, I was too resourceful to wash a ton of dishes.
I was also too resourceful to drag myself out to the grocery store.
I had a serious craving for One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice last week, but I found myself without most of the ingredients. Rather than go out, I decided to majorly improvise.
What I thought would wind up as a sad attempt at Taco Rice actually wound up being a killer, creamy, cheesy chicken and rice dish all on its own that I couldn't wait to share with you. I dinner-ified Jalapeno Poppers!
Thank goodness for lazy days, right?
To make this recipe work, I saute cubed chicken breast, diced jalapenos, and minced garlic in butter and oil. Rice and chicken stock are then added in and cooked until the rice absorbs most of the liquid and the chicken is cooked through. Next, milk, cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, and a few spices are stirred in, and... well, that's about all that's necessary, actually. Who knew something so delicious could be so simple?
To take it a step further, if you use an oven-safe pot to make this recipe, you can sprinkle the Creamy Jalapeno Popper Chicken and Rice with breadcrumbs and put it under the broiler until crisp and golden-brown on top. I like to divide mine into little cocottes first so I can serve them in intact individual portions, and I garnish with sliced jalapeno, green onion, and cilantro.
It's one of those dishes that make you realize that it's alright-- and even downright delicious-- to cut corners in the kitchen sometimes!Print
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced, plus more to garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups instant rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 sprigs green onion, sliced, plus more to garnish
- ½ cup milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs, to top (optional)
- Cilantro, to garnish
- In a large, high-walled skillet or pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and oil together. Season the cubed chicken breast with salt and pepper and then add to the pot. Add in the diced jalapenos and saute until the chicken has browned and the jalapeno has softened, stirring and turning often, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the instant rice, spices, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the majority of the liquid, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the green onion, milk, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, and stir until completely melted and evenly distributed.
- Transfer to oven safe dishes (or keep in the pot, if oven-safe) and sprinkle with breadcrumb. Broil until the tops have browned lightly, 1-2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, sliced jalapeno, and green onion and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins