- One 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced mini cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru) or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Canola oil or vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from about 3 or 4 medium cloves)
- 1/2 cup gochujang (Korean chili paste), or to taste
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Rinse the tofu, slice it into 1-inch-thick slabs, and lay them on the prepared baking sheet. Top with more towels. Press the tofu by placing a heavy book or cast iron skillet on top. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the red and green cabbage with the carrots and toss with lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate small bowl, combine the cucumber slices, sugar, 1/4 cup of the rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes (if using). Cover both bowls and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into a medium bowl. Add cornstarch and toss until evenly coated. Heat a thin layer of oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook until browned and crispy all over, turning and breaking up the pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tofu to a plate.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and briefly sauté the garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the gochujang, brown sugar, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar. Cook until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Add tofu back to the pan and stir until well coated. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Top each tortilla with cabbage slaw. Spoon the tofu over the slaw and top with the pickled cucumbers. Serve.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!