If you’re one of the people who realized off the bat that this is a healthy recipe and said, “No way; That’s just not for me,” I have to advise you to reconsider. One, this tastes great. Two, it’s quick to put together. Three, it’s easy to put together. Four, a fourth point shouldn’t be necessary. Just give it a shot.
Just like you, I have a busy life (believe it or not) so sometimes making food for the blog is daunting– let alone cooking for myself. Sure, I like to get fancy and creative as often as possible, but sometimes I’m looking to eat something quick after work that takes about as much effort as microwaving a freezer meal or heating up leftovers. I don’t have time to waste when I’m hungry.
So, obviously the best solution in said scenario is to be both creative and fast, which usually results in me playing Frankenstein with ingredients in my refrigerator. There isn’t much I won’t try to throw together, so it should be no surprise that one day the idea of combining hummus and chicken hit me.
The first time around, I made more of a hummus-sauce and enjoyed it with my chicken breast, but there was something texturally off about it. After a brief internet search, I found Gimme Some Oven‘s version, which uses the hummus to form a crust on the chicken. I tweaked the recipe ever-so-slightly to suit my taste, but it’s an extremely versatile recipe, so do with it as you wish. You could add vegetables on top, use different kinds of hummus, add pine nuts, cook it over sliced red bell pepper– the world is your easy-to-make and delicious oyster.
By the way, I served mine with a quinoa-spin on tabbouleh. I simply made an instant pack of flavored quinoa (I told you, we’re shooting for quick and easy here!) Chopped up mini cucumbers, grape tomatoes, scallions, and lots of parsley, and mixed it together with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to taste. You can serve the Hummus Crusted Chicken with any side dish, though, (or none at all) and it’ll work. It’s just one of those things.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup hummus of your choice (I used chipotle hummus)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken breasts in the dish. Using a spoon, scoop the ½ cup hummus into a measuring cup to avoid contaminating the rest of the hummus from the raw chicken. Put the remaining hummus away, and spoon hummus from the measuring cup on the chicken. Spread it around until the breasts are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, and red chili powder on top of the chicken (or whatever seasonings you choose to use). Squeeze one lemon half over each chicken breast.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the hummus has crisped. Serve immediately.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!