But you know what I don’t hate? Delicious chicken, beans, corn, rice, tomato, avocado, onions, and cheese all cooked together in one pot with salsa and Mexican seasonings and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Nope, I don’t hate that at all. In fact, I love it very much.
So much that I’ll be making One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice again this week.
Now I know this is called “One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice”, but if you’re more of a beef or turkey fan, feel free to switch out the ground meat. If you don’t like beans, nix them. If you prefer quinoa, be my guest. Throw some jalapenos in there if you like heat. Really, this dish is quite versatile, so work with what you have on hand!
Speaking of work, can I just say how weird it feels to be back at work after the 4th? Yesterday I could not focus. Today, I’m totally zoned out. I’m in a creative slump and I still have no idea what I’m going to be cooking tomorrow. This blog post? Well I really have no direction and I’m just hoping for your sake that you overlook most of it and focus instead on the pictures.
See how cheesy that is? Look at all of the colors. It’s way more enticing than anything I could write right now. OOOOH. AHH.
But you know what? These kind of one pot meals– the ones you just kind of throw in a skillet and grunt at or something, maybe stir every once in a while if you’re feeling up to it– are the kind people like me need on days like today. No nonsense. No challenge. Hardly any clean-up. Tons of taste.
Now if you’ll pardon me, I’m going to leave you with the recipe and go do some jumping jacks or something to get the blood pumping again. Let me know what you think of this recipe if you give it a try, and feel free to leave some “Morgan, this is how you can get your brain to function again after a long weekend” tips in the comments section.
- 1 - 1.5 lbs lean ground chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus an extra drizzle for cooking the rice
- 1½ cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish
- Fresh cilantro, to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground chicken and break it up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion and cook until the chicken has browned and the onion is translucent.
- Move the chicken and onion over to one side of the pan and drizzle just a bit more oil on the empty side. Add in the uncooked rice and toss it around briefly to toast it.
- Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
- Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the tomato, cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and cilantro and serve!
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!